Latest watering releases
Based on best available operational data, the following environmental water deliveries were made in the week previous to and following 19/03/2018.
- Delivering to the Snowy River
- Delivering to Moorabool River
- Delivering to the Latrobe River
- Delivering to MacKenzie River and Burnt Creek
- Delivering to Wimmera River
- Delivering to Mount William Creek
- Delivering to Fieldings Dam
- Delivering to Glenelg River
- Delivering to Gunbower Creek
- Delivering to Potterwalkagee Creek, Lindsay River and Mullaroo Creek
- Delivering to Round Lake and Hird Swamp in the central Murray region
- Delivering to Lake Hawthorn and Brickworks Billabong in the lower Murray region
- Delivering to the lower Broken Creek
- Delivering to the Loddon River
- Delivering to the Yarra River
Baseflow/low flow = a relatively stable, sustained minimum flow. Fresh = small or short watering events which exceed baseflow.
Releases can include water delivered in Victoria by the Victorian Environmental Water Holder, Commonwealth Environmental Water Holder, Murray-Darling Basin Authority (The Living Murray program) and the NSW Government.
Environmental watering objectives may also be met by other water in the system (such as water which is en route for use in households, industry and farming).
How do we know it works?
To measure the success of environmental watering, it is important to draw on the large body of scientific and community knowledge that exists about Victoria’s rivers and wetlands.Learn More
Seasonal watering plan
A statewide plan that scopes potential environmental watering in rivers and wetlands.Learn More
Rivers and wetlands
- • Barmah Forest
- • Gunbower Creek and Forest
- • Central Murray wetlands
- • Hattah Lakes
- • Lower Murray wetlands
- • Lindsay, Wallpolla and Mulcra
- • Ovens system
- • Goulburn River
- • Goulburn wetlands
- • Upper Broken Creek
- • Lower Broken Creek
- • Broken wetlands
- • Campaspe River
- • Coliban River
- • Loddon River
- • Boort wetlands
- • Birchs Creek
Environmental water stories
We are lucky at the VEWH to have two highly capable captains at the helm with a job-share arrangement between two Executive Officers.
In recognition of World Wetlands Day, some of the staff from the VEWH took part in community events at Lake Cullen and Hird Swamp, where we enjoyed observing and learning about wetland birdlife.
News and media releases
The Minister for Water is currently considering the VEWH's application to establish a new Upper Barwon River Environmental Entitlement.
The Victorian Environmental Water Holder (VEWH), which is responsible for managing water to improve the state's rivers and wetlands, intends to sell a small portion of its water allocation in the northern Victorian water market.
Congratulations to Victoria's Catchment Management Authorities (CMAs) on their achievements throughout 2016-17, which are celebrated in a new report.